You walk out of a meeting. You won the deal! Man, that one took a long time. What a battle. Lots of ups, downs, twists and turns. A number of things you would have done differently, but all good, you made it! Lots of lessons learned - on to the next.
Meanwhile, in the office next door or across the country, a teammate embarks on a similar journey. Are they armed with the collective lessons learned from the whole organization?! Probably not. And how frustrating to know that there are members of your team that are making the same mistakes, or missing opportunities to build on key victories.
Start filling out this template below for wins and losses and you'll quickly eliminate duplicate mistakes and start identifying trends to build on wins:
- Client type - Big enterprise? SMB? Start-up?:
- Identify the buyer - Who / what department made the buying decision?:
- Buying motivation - What problem did they need to solve?:
- Existing solution(s) - What are they doing today?:
- Relevant competitors - What other options were they considering? How did you stack up?:
- Objections - What objections did they have? How did you overcome them?:
- How you won (if won) - What key variable did the buyer make his decision on? How does your product make the buyers life better?:
- Why you lost (if lost) - What did you lose to? A competitor? Doing nothing? What key variable did the buyer make his decision on?:
- Lessons learned - Any other lessons learned? Any cool stories that would help a teammate win a similar deal? :
That's it! Keep it simple. Log and share wins and losses and make them accessible to the whole team - you'll shorten your learning cylces in the field dramatically in no time.
P.S. Anything else you'd add or remove? Let us know!